FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
StartCom Enterprise Linux (AS-5.0.1) - Update Release
Eilat, Israel, November 12, 2007 - StartCom is pleased to announce the availability of StartCom Enterprise Linux AS-5.0.1. StartCom Linux is using the latest in open source technology and with its known stability, reliability and security allows for mission-critical server deployments. This update release provides improved support for virtualization - the running of multiple instances of operating systems on one physical hardware unit. The Global File System (GFS) provided in AS-5.0.1 allows the building and maintaining of high availability computer clusters, mainly used for data centers. Depending on the installation preferences, StartCom Enterprise Linux can function as server platform or as an advanced client workstation.
- The new Xen 3.1.0 hypervisor makes the running of multiple virtualized server instances with its performance improvements and live-migration support for fully virtualized guests more efficient and reliable.
The benefits of server virtualization are consolidation, increased utilization, an ability to rapidly provision and start a virtual machine, and increased ability to dynamically respond to hardware failures by moving a virtual machine to different hardware.
- The enhanced usability of the desktop applications makes AS-5.0.1 also an excellent choice for client and development workstations. Many well known products such as Firefox, OpenOffice and Eclipse IDE are provided already during installation as possible options. OpenGL driven 3D Desktop is included in the default selection.
- New kernel features include EXT3 filesystem sizes of up to 16 TB, updated CIFS filesystem and improved ACPI power management support. Other improvements includes addition of smartcard support for SSH, SMB update for improved interoperability, PAM/Kerberos and NSS-LDAP updates for improved integration in Active Directory environments. VLC cross-platform media player which was added from our Extras repository supports a large number of multimedia formats and can also be used as a streaming server, with extended features like video on demand (VoD) and on-the-fly transcoding.
StartCom Enterprise Linux AS-5.0.1 codenamed "Kishuf" is available for Intel i386 and AMD x86_64 architectures. DVD ISO images can be downloaded for free or ordered for a nominal fee. Alternative installation options via network or harddrive are also available.
- More information about StartCom Linux can be found at our website. - Screenshots are published here. - Previous Press Releases are published here
- More information about StartCom's products are available at the home page.