FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
StartCom Enterprise Linux AS-5 availability announced
Eilat, Israel, April 2, 2007 - The newest StartCom Enterprise Linux AS-5.0.0 joins a series of successful and reliable operating systems build and distributed over the last three years by StartCom Ltd.
This latest release provides full support for virtualization - the running of multiple instances of operating systems on one physical hardware unit. Depending on the installation preferences, AS-5.0.0 can function as server platform as well as advanced client workstation.
- StartCom Linux is using the latest in open source technology and with its known stability, reliability and security allows for mission-critical server deployments.
The Global File System (GFS) provided in AS-5.0.0 allows the building and maintaining of high availability computer clusters, mainly used for data centers.
- The natural support of the XEN hypervisor, makes the running of multiple virtualized server instances possible.
The benefits of server virtualization are consolidation, increased utilization, an ability to rapidly provision and start a virtual machine, and increased ability to dynamically respond to hardware failures by moving a virtual machine to different hardware.
- The enhanced usability of the desktop applications makes AS-5.0.0 also an excellent choice for client and development workstations. Many well known products such as Firefox, OpenOffice and Eclipse IDE are provided already during installation as possible options.
StartCom Enterprise Linux AS-5.0.0 codenamed "Kishuf" is available for Intel i386 and AMD x86_64 architectures. DVD ISO images can be downloaded for free or ordered for a nominal fee. Alternative installation options via network or harddrive are also available.
- More information about StartCom Linux can be found at our website. - Previous Press Releases are published here
- More information about StartCom's products are available at the home page.